Wednesday, July 29, 2009

the life of a firefighter's wife

After four years of being together with a firefighter I have just recently started having a hard time spending the time alone while he is at work. My husband works 24 hour shifts every other day for five days then has four straight days off. It is easy to understand if you look at it in a real week, think MWF he works from 7 am to 7 am the next morning and then he would have Tuesday and Thursday off in between as well as Sunday then the next four straight days off.
Make sense?
*
It isn't terribly long but still long enough for me to start to miss him.
I normally love my time alone and deal with it quite well. I can have girls nights, friends over and make evening plans with my Young Life girls without having to feel guilty about abandoning my husband. Today felt a little bit more normal though because I was way to busy to even notice he wasn't home. It could be way worse though some places have 48 hour shifts at a time. I would go crazy if that was his schedule, especially if we had kids.
*
On the flip side though I am crawling the walls by the time his fourth day off comes around. The dishes start to pile up, our place is trashed and the laundry is in need mile high. 96 hours together that often is not as great as it sounds.
*
I do get this coming home to me though so I will stop complaining.

6 comments:

Mrs EyeCanSee said...

I sorta know how you feel. My husband and I have been living in different cities for last 3 weeks. At first, it wasn't so bad. Like you said...I loved guilt free girls nights. Not having to cook. I had control of the remote AND the computer. But after a few days it wasn't so fun anymore and I just missed my hubs! I finally get to see him one week from today! YES!

I don't know how military wives do it....I'd be a wreck!

Sweet Simplicity said...

I struggle through something similar with Ty. I enjoy the time I have to do my own thing, but miss him all at the same time.

Hailey HRH said...

oh wow - what a hard schedule to get used to! that doesnt sound like fun - but its good you like your alone time!

Katie said...

I can only imagine how it would stink being away from each other, but at least he is in an honorable field that makes him a hero!

Colleen said...

My BFF's hubby is a FF, he does 24 on, 48 off. I'm not sure there's any such thing as an ideal schedule =(

Tatum said...

I hear ya sister! My man is a FF too and I believe you develop a love/hate relationship with thier hours... He works the same as your husband and well sometimes you just plain out miss them and other times you can't wait till thier next "tour" starts and they are back at the station! :) Cute blog!