Saturday, January 8, 2011

Scouting the Divine

Lately it seems that a ton of people have been posting their 2011 reading list so I figured I would share a book I'm currently reading and loving.
My mom heard the author speak at church one Sunday and bought me a copy. It was a book that didn't really appeal to me and I carried it around for months without starting it. I finally opened it late one evening and was so shocked by how much I learned. I had so many big Ahha moments (as Oprah would say) that I would read until I got to one and go to bed thinking over and applying to my life what I had just learned.
*
In Scouting the Divine Margaret Feinberg realizes that the bible uses descriptions that we no longer relate to in our everyday lives. How can we understand the promise of a land overflowing with milk and honey when we buy honey in a bear shaped jar? Why is Jesus always called a shepherd and us His lambs?
"To discover these deeper meanings, she spends time with a shepherdess in Oregon, walks the fields with a farmer in Nebraska, explore a vineyard of California, and talks with a veteran beekeeper in Colorado. Along the way, she gains deeper insight about how scripture applies to life today and discovers answers to puzzling questions."
This is definitely a book I will be passing around to my friends and young life kids.

2 comments:

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

I am sold. I am going to have to add this to my reading list!

Calamity Lace said...

Sounds like a very intersting read. It's going on my list.